Do you experience pain, discomfort, a popping/clicking feeling while opening and closing your mouth? This may be a sign of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (or TMD).
What are Temporomandibular Joints (TMJ)? Your TMJs connect the jaw to the skull with a number of muscles and ligaments. Temporomandibular joints open and close our mouths when eating, speaking, or swallowing. TMD occurs if a jaw joint is not functioning correctly, and thus can cause pain.
Common Symptoms of TMD often seem unrelated, until they are properly diagnosed.
- - pain in the following muscle areas: head, face, ear, neck, throat, shoulder and back clicking
- - grinding or popping noises from your jaw
- - pain and pressure behind the eyes
- - swelling on the side of the face
- - difficulty opening the mouth (especially very wide) and closing your teeth together
- - headaches, toothaches, neck aches, dizziness, earaches, and hearing problems
How are TMDs diagnosed and treated?
At Yorkville Dental Arts we will provide you with a thorough check up. We will examine your temporomandibular joints for pain and tenderness, and listen and feel for popping or grating during jaw movement. A panoramic x-ray of your jaw will also allow us to examine your entire jaw to ensure that there is no other underlying problem.
From our thorough diagnosis we will devise a treatment plan that is right for you. We will create a program of therapy that may greatly reduce the stress on the joint while aligning it more accurately and comfortably.