While it is not prevalent in early youth through the teen years, gum diseases (from gingivitis to periodontal disease) seem to appear commonly in adults after the age of 30. Early stages of gum disease (Gingivitis) can usually be treated through proper oral health care regimen (brushing, flossing and other techniques) and regular visits to your dentist for monitoring and cleanings.
If left untreated Gingivitis can progress to Periodontal Disease, where pockets form at the gum line allowing bacteria and infection to damage not only your teeth and gums but also the structure that supports them and eventually your overall health.
Gum disease symptoms:
- - bleeding during normal (even gentle) brushing and flossing
- - tender, sensitive or even painful to the touch
- - swollen gums that appear shiny or bright red (like in many infections)
- - receding gums
- - loose teeth in an adult
- - teeth that appear unusually long (due to receded gum)
- - excessive tartar buildup along the visible gum line and in the 'pocket'
- - frequent or continuous bad breath
Periodontal Disease is easier to control and treat the earlier you address it, so give us a call to book an appointment now! At Yorkville Dental Arts, we’ll make this a quick, comfortable and convenient visit for you; one that you don’t have to fear.